This post may contain affiliate links. If you buy something through one of these links, you won’t pay a penny more, but we will receive a small commission. Read our full disclosure.
Choosing to stay home to raise your kids isn’t always an easy decision. Oftentimes it means a tighter budget and increased stress over family finances. You might be looking for ways to earn a little bit of extra income so you can cushion the budget. There are some amazing ways for moms to work from home and earn some extra cash.
For some, finances aren’t necessarily the issue, but you’re looking for a creative outlet outside of middle of the night feedings and diaper changes.
Whatever your reason may be, there are some amazing work-from-home jobs that are perfect for moms and don’t even require you to change out of your yoga pants for the day!
These work from home jobs will give you the flexibility to prioritize your children while also providing some wiggle room in that tight budget.
1. Start a Blog
Starting a blog is the best thing I ever did to start making money at home, because it opens up the opportunity to make money in a variety of ways. If you’re interested in how to start a blog, I wrote an in depth tutorial on how to start a money making blog from scratch. You can read through it now or pin it to read later.
Creating multiple income streams is often the key to success in blogging for money. Some of the most common ways that bloggers make money are:
- Ad Revenue
- Sponsored Posts
- Affiliate Marketing
- Selling their own digital or physical products
You can read my full post where I outline in detail all of the ways that bloggers make money. There are so many different opportunities no matter what niche you are interested in!
The key to making money with your blog, no matter how you choose to monetize, is by driving traffic to your blog. If you already have a blog or are thinking about starting one, I highly recommend Elna Cain’s course, Ready Set Blog Traffic. It’s the course I took to learn how to grow my blog’s traffic through Pinterest and SEO.
2. Freelance Writing
If you enjoy writing, you can start a freelance writing business. It’s a great way to make money even when you’re trying to grow your own blog’s traffic.
All you need to start a freelance writing business is simple website, a portfolio of work to show, and a PayPal account to get paid! If you are interested in more in depth training on freelance writing, I recommend Elna Cain’s courses. She is an experienced, full-time freelance writer, and her courses are very thorough.
- Setting up a freelance website: Writer Website in a Weekend
- How to start making money fast: Write Your Way to Your First $1K
Content marketing through blogging is popular no matter what the business, and business owners are often looking for people to blog for them. It’s the perfect option for a stay-at-home mom.
I created a site specific to my own freelance writing business. You can see how I set up my blog at Nichols Ink.
3. Create an Online Store
Do you have an area of expertise or a hobby you can turn into a money making business? Create a digital or physical product to sell through an online store. Depending on what you’re trying to sell, you can start a store with:
- Podia- Podia allows you to sell digital downloads, online courses, and memberships
- Teachable- Teachable is an easy-to-use platform that allows you to sell courses
- Shopify- Shopify allows you to sell both digital and physical products by creating your own online store front. Shopify users can sell their products through Facebook and Instagram using this platform depending on your plan.
- Etsy- Sell your own physical or digital products through Etsy. Etsy allows you to utilize their traffic to send traffic to your shop using keywords.
If you enjoy working with children or young adults and have a particular skill set or education background, you can work from home as a tutor. You don’t have to have a background as a teacher to be a tutor. Most opportunities just require a Bachelor’s degree.
The best sites I have found for tutoring are:
- Tutor.com– Visit their site to view all subjects covered for children through adult learners
- VIPKID– This is an online tutoring platform that provides one-on-one tutoring to kids in China.
Tutoring is an amazing way to set your own hours and work from home while your kids are sleeping.
5. Become a Virtual Assistant
If you like working on your computer and are highly organized, you can be a virtual assistant. Businesses, entrepreneurs, and bloggers often hire virtual assistants to complete tasks that they can’t or don’t want to complete on their own. Some examples of tasks you could be hired for include:
- Creating blog content
- Blog management
- Graphic design (ie. social media graphics, Pinterest pins, flyers, etc.)
- Email management
- Video editing
- Social media management (scheduling posts, engaging with followers, etc.)
- SEO for blog posts
For more information, I recommend visiting Abby’s site, The Virtual Savvy. She is the master at growing your virtual assistant business.
6. Make Money on Pinterest
Did you know you could even make money on Pinterest? That platform you love pinning recipes and DIY projects to is an amazing place for moms to start making money. There are two main ways that you can make money on Pinterest without being a blogger:
- Become a Pinterest Marketer- Are you familiar with how to use Pinterest for business or to drive traffic to a website? You could become a Pinterest manager for businesses and bloggers.
- Pinterest Affiliate Marketing- You don’t necessarily need a blog to make money from affiliate marketing on Pinterest. You can join affiliate networks like Shareasale, FlexOffers, and Amazon and create pins for products. Just make sure you get familiar with Pinterest’s affiliate marketing rules!
7. Direct Sales
Direct sales is definitely not for everybody, but it can be an amazing option for moms who love a particular product and want to work from home. I have several friends who have been incredibly successful in their direct sales businesses.
If you can get beyond the stigma of direct sales, you can earn a part-time or full-time income if the company has a strong compensation plan.
I’m personally a Beautycounter Consultant as a side hustle rather than relying on it as a full-time job. It’s fun for me to turn a hobby into an income stream.
If you’re hesitant to consider it as an option, read my post on how to be successful in direct sales without losing all your friends. It is possible, especially in a time where online marketing is growing rapidly!
Other Posts You Might Be Interested In:
- The Budget Binder that Transformed Our Finances [Free 25-Page Budget Binder download]
- How to Start a Subscription Box Business and Work from Home
- Make Money as a Photographer: How One Mom Built Her Side Hustle
- 35 Ways to Live on One Income (and Be a Stay-at-Home Mom)
- 10 Tips for Saving Money on Household Items
- 20 Money Saving Tips to Prepare for a New Baby on a Budget