This post may contain affiliate links. If you buy something through one of these links, you won’t pay a penny more, but we will receive a small commission. Read our full disclosure.
Homemade under eye serum is a simple and budget-friend DIY beauty recipe using nourishing carrier oils and essential oils. This under eye serum is great for all skin types and works to minimize fine lines and dark circles.
I’m reaching the age now where I keep hearing that I really need to be wearing under eye creams to ward off crows feet and hide the fact that I haven’t gotten a full night’s sleep in about 8 years from nighttime kid shenanigans. I wanted something that was inexpensive and easy to apply. Enter the roll-on applicator.
This stuff is amazing, and you will realize quickly that you don’t need to spend a bunch of money on overpriced under eye creams and serums. This has become an essential part of my nighttime routine.
To make your own eye serum, you want to focus on getting plenty of essential fatty acids. These fatty acids help to fight dry, dehydrated skin and improve any discolorations or swelling you may have.
This under eye serum can be used on any skin type and is great for people who struggle with dark circles or want to minimize fine lines.
Why You Should Make Your Own Under Eye Serum
This under eye serum is easy to whip up quickly and will last you for quite a while. It’s also an amazing budget-friendly natural beauty product. Let’s take a look at the cost breakdown:
- Evening Primrose Oil- I bought mine for $9.90 for 4 ounces but only used 0.17 ounces = $0.42
- Rose hip Oil- I bought mine for $29.99 for 4 ounces but only used 0.17 ounces = $1.26
- Vitamin E- $6.42 for 4 ounces but only used about 0.06 ounces = $0.10
- Essential Oils- The price on this will vary depending on type and brand of oil. I use Young Living oils and 15 drops cost around $4
APPROX. TOTAL COST = $5.78 PER BOTTLE!
This recipe is literally as simple as adding all of the ingredients directly to the roller bottle, swirling up the mixture, and rolling it under your eyes. It is not complicated and will take you less than 2 minutes to throw together.
If you’re more of a DI-Buyer than DIY-er, I LOVE Beautycounter’s Countertime Ultra Renewal Eye Cream. It’s great for more mature skin like mine (hello 35!). The Countermatch Eye Rescue Cream is another amazing option at a lower price point.
If you’re going to buy from Beautycounter, I highly recommend their loyalty program, Band of Beauty. It includes some awesome benefits like:
- Every time you shop, you get a 10% of product credit that you can use on your next order, essentially saving you 10% on all future orders.
- Get a FREE full-sized product as a complimentary gift for signing up when you spend $50.
- Free shipping, always, when you spend over $100.
- Special offers, discounts and exclusive access to new products before they’re available to the general public.
It’s only $29 to join, which you’ll make back with the free gift and future savings. If you’re going to spend more than $100 with Beautycounter each YEAR, this is a no-brainer!
DIY Under Eye Serum
About the Ingredients
- Evening Primrose Oil- Evening primrose oil feels incredibly light on your skin, and it’s full of essential fatty acids to promote skin elasticity. It’s become one of my new favorite oils for adding to my DIY beauty products.
- Rose hip Oil- Rose hip oil is an amazing source of Vitamin C and is loaded with antioxidants that fight free radicals that lead to aging skin. It is also great for evening out skin pigmentation.
- Vitamin E- Vitamin E is another oil that acts as an antioxidant in the body to fight the free radicals that lead to wrinkles. It helps keep our skin youthful looking.
- Essential Oils- Essential oils help promote healthy skin and cellular function. I recommend using equal parts Frankincense, Carrot Seed, and Cypress essential oils, but you can also use what you have on hand.
About the Serum
- Be careful using essential oils around your eyes. I do not suggest using this serum on your eyelash to ensure no oils drip down into your eyes. I roll this on under my eyes and on my crows feet.
- Use this serum within 6 months. The essential oils won’t expire, but the carrier oils (ie. evening primrose + rose hip) can expire over time.
- Swirl the bottle before each use just to make sure all of the oils are incorporated together.
Other Posts You Might Like:
- How to Customize Your Own Beauty Serum
- DIY Face Wash Pads
- Simple DIY Toner Recipe
- Homemade Charcoal Face Mask
- 1- 10mL roller bottle
- 1 teaspoon Evening Primrose Oil
- 1 teaspoon Rose Hip Oil
- 3 drops Vitamin E
- 15 drops Essential Oils (I recommend Frankincense, Cypress, and/or Carrot Seed)
- Add evening primrose oil to the roller bottle
- Add essential oils and vitamin e oil to the roller bottle
- Add rose hip oil to the roller bottle
- Put roller top onto the roller bottle and swirl the oils around to incorporate
- Roll on under your eyes and dab lightly before applying makeup or at bedtime
Be careful not to get essential oils into your eyes. I do not recommend rolling this on your eyelid to prevent dripping into your eyes. Roll under your eyes and to the side of your eyes.
Resources I Love
Thrive Market: I order most of my pantry staples and wellness products from Thrive Market. Think Costco meets Whole Foods with thousands of healthy food and personal care items. Get 1 month free PLUS 25% off your first order when you go through my link.
Rakuten Rakuten (formerly Ebates) is a total no-brainer for saving money when shopping online. Every time you shop online, click on a store through Ebates to receive cash back on all of your purchases. Get $10 after your first $25 purchase when you use my link.
Ibotta: Ibotta is my favorite app for saving money on groceries without clipping coupons. Get cash back on your groceries just by uploading your receipts. Get $5 just for signing up when you click on my link.