This post may contain affiliate links. If you buy something through one of these links, you won’t pay a penny more, but we will receive a small commission. Read our full disclosure.
Have you ever wondered how to make your own beauty serum or facial oil that is customized for your skin type? It’s actually really easy and budget-friendly using nourishing carrier oils and essential oils. Learn how to make your own facial serum that works for your skin type.
Natural skincare can be really easy once you understand the basics about oils and skin type. I’m going to give you everything you need to know about essential oils and carrier oils to confidently customize your own homemade beauty serums! It will save you a ton of money and you’re skin will glow!
Ever since I learned about all of the toxic chemicals lurking in store bought creams and serums, I’ve happily made the switch over to more natural options. My DIY Facial Oil and Under Eye Serum are two of my favorite homemade beauty products. These are easy to make items that I choose to DIY over buying.
The biggest fear that most people have switching over to natural beauty products is the use of carrier oils. They hear the word oil and immediately believe that they will break out. Carrier oils are actually an amazing way to hydrate your skin, because they absorb easily into the skin, protecting the skin’s lipid barrier and preventing moisture from evaporating out of the skin.
By finding the best oil combination for YOUR skin type, you can balance oil production, improve the texture of your skin, and help reduce the signs of aging. Oily skin will not be an issue if you identify the appropriate oil for your skin type. Clogged pores are generally a result of synthetic oils or oils that are too heavy for your skin.
A Comedogenic Scale ranks common oils from 0 (does not clog pores) to 5 (will most likely cause you to break out) so that you can easily find oils that will help hydrate and replenish your skin’s vitality.
Adding essential oils to your chosen carrier oil can increase the serum’s ability to support healthy skin. My general recommendation is to start off with a base of Jojoba oil since it is great for all skin types. From there, add another complimentary carrier oil and your chosen essential oils. Simple, effective, and easy on the wallet!
I’ll break down the best essential oil and carrier oil choices for the most common skin types.
Best Essential Oils for Your Skin Type
- Normal:Lavender, Frankincense, Geranium
- Dry:Lavender, Frankincense, Cedarwood, Geranium, Myrhh, Patchouli, Rose, Ylang Ylang, Clary Sage, Roman Chamomile, Sandalwood, Jasmine
- Non-Cystic Acne:Lavender, Tea Tree, Geranium, Patchouli, Lemongrass, Rosemary, Roman Chamomile
- Sensitive:Lavender, Frankincense, Geranium, Sandalwood, Jasmine, Helichrysum, Rose
- Oily:Lavender, Frankincense, Peppermint, Tea Tree, Geranium, Cypress, Ylang Ylang, Patchouli, Clary Sage, Rosemary, Roman Chamomile, Sandalwood
- Mature:Frankincense, Lavender, Myrhh, Rose, Helichrysum, Patchouli, Cypress, Jasmine, Ylang Ylang, Rosemary, Sandalwood, Geranium
Best Carrier Oils for Your Skin Type
- Normal:Jojoba, Sweet Almond, Sunflower, Grapeseed, Apricot Kernel
- Dry:Sweet Almond, Avocado, Rose hip Seed, Sunflower, Apricot Kernel
- Acne:Jojoba, Argan, Evening Primrose, Grapeseed, Sesame
- Oily:Jojoba, Argan, Grapeseed
- Mature:Rose hip Seed, Sweet Almond, Avocado, Tamanu, Sunflower, Apricot Kernel
Not sure what your skin type is? Click here.
The best part about creating your own beauty serums (besides saving money) is that you get to add as much or as little essential oils and carrier oil as you’d like. This is your chance to create a beauty serum that is perfectly curated for YOU!
I purchase my jojoba oil from Thrive Market since I’m able to buy a 16 ounce bottle for $23.99. That’s cheaper than you’ll find on Amazon per ounce. If you only use jojoba oil plus essential oils, you can make your own beauty serum for about $10-15 per 4 ounces depending on which essential oils you choose. That’s INSANELY cheap for a natural facial oil!
Use my link to get a 30 day free membership PLUS an additional 25% off your first Thrive Market order. Grab what you need for your DIYs during your free trial and see if a membership is worth it!
Do you want a more natural facial serum but aren’t really into DIYs? I LOVE Beautycounter’s Brightening Facial Oils. Send me a message through my Contact page if you need help choosing the one that’s right for your skin type.
If you’re going to buy from Beautycounter, I highly recommend their loyalty program, Band of Beauty. It includes some awesome benefits like:
- Every time you shop, you get a 10% of product credit that you can use on your next order, essentially saving you 10% on all future orders.
- Get a FREE full-sized product as a complimentary gift for signing up when you spend $50.
- Free shipping, always, when you spend over $100.
- Special offers, discounts and exclusive access to new products before they’re available to the general public.
It’s only $29 to join, which you’ll make back with the free gift and future savings. If you’re going to spend more than $100 with Beautycounter each YEAR, this is a no-brainer!
More Posts You Might Like:
- Simple Homemade Toner Recipe
- DIY Charcoal Face Mask
- DIY Face Wash Pads (a great eye makeup remover)
- How to Create a DIY Beauty and Body Care Tool Kit